Human Resources Management in Nonprofit Organizations Discussion
I’m trying to learn for my Social Science class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
For the nonprofit sector, paid staff and volunteers are equally important; therefore, managers need to understand how to manage not only the staff but also individuals who wish to provide their time, talents, and money to the organization for free. It is not always possible to find the best match between volunteers’ abilities and organizational needs; however, these resources are useful for NPOs, and managers should try to align volunteers to appropriate tasks, given all limitations.
Discuss the following questions.
- From the CEO’s point of view, what could be the challenge to managing organization that heavily depends on volunteers?
- Give specific examples of issues that would be different for paid employees and volunteer?
- Provide suggestions or at least one tip/idea/initiative that would help motivate volunteers. You can use any NPO as an example to bring the context to your answer. Be specific and concrete with your suggestion.
Note: You are expected to make one initial post and reply to the posting of at least two other students.
- Each original response to the questions for the week must be at least 80 words long and specifically reference some concept or content reference in the coursework for the week.
- Peer responses must be at least 50 words long and one or more of these types: 1) agreement with extension, 2) an alternative perspective with rationale, or a 3) respectful challenge with counter argument.