Florida State University American Electoral System Discussion
I’m studying for my Political Science class and need an explanation.
I. Identify a current issue that you believe needs a legal change at the federal level. Apply the 6 Stages of Change (Chapter 5)
2. AGNEDA SETTING
3. POLICY FORMULATION
4. PASSAGE OF THE POLICY
5. POLICY IMPLEMENTATION
6. EVALUATING POLICY CHANGE
and the Tactics and Strategies (Chapter 6)
1. OPPORTUNITIES FOR IN THE POLICY ARENA
2. VOLUNTEERING YOUR TIME
3. CAREER OPTIONS IN THE PUBLIC ARENA
by responding to the questions beneath each of the stages.
1. Problem Identification: Identifying the Problem and Possible Solutions.
- What is the problem?
- Which social work tools (assessments, surveys, evaluations, etc.) would be most effective in determining the extent of the problem?
- Is there research available that justifies the issue as a problem?
2. Agenda Setting: Getting your issue on the political agenda.
- How would you get the issue front and center?
- Who are advocates you would use?
- How would you use social media?
- Who is a potential legislative champion for this issue and who else would be in support?
- Who would your opposition be? Name at least 1 current political leader that would be opposed, and 1 organization that would be opposed.
3. Policy Formulation: Translating the solution into a proposed policy
- Specify 2 key requirements that would be in the law.
4. Adoption/Passage of the Proposed Policy: Getting a bill passed into law.
- Consider your 2 requirements and identify 1 compromise you would be prepared to make.
5. Policy Implementation: Implementing the new law so that it is carried out as intended.
- What is 1 rule a local government could impose to support the new law?
6. Evaluating the Policy Change: What was the impact or outcome of the new policy?
- What information would you need to gather to ensure that the new law is having the intended impact?