ECE 642 Ashford University Self Regulation in Curriculum Essay
I need an explanation for this Social Science question to help me study.
Self-Regulation in Curriculum
When children transition from being at home to a learning environment, such as a home daycare, center, preschool, or elementary school, they need to be taught what the expectations are for their behavior. “Just as teachers provide opportunities for children to learn about science, math, and literacy, they must also provide opportunities for children to learn how to interact with others and manage their behavior independently and in groups” (Kostelnik, Soderman, Whiren, & Rupiper, 2015, p. 167). This type of behavior is often referred to as self-regulation. As early childhood educators, we must provide opportunities for our students to engage in learning activities that allow them to learn how to control their own behavior. For this assignment, begin by watching the video Sesame Street: The Waiting Game With Guy Smiley! (Links to an external site.)
After watching the video, address the following in your paper:
- Discuss the three most significant concepts that you learned about promoting self-regulation in children from the video, Chapter 5 of your primary text, and/or your own experience working with young children.
- Describe at least two developmental and two experience-based influences on self-regulation in young children. Use either a scholarly or credible source to support your description.
- Create a measurable learning objective for a potential lesson or activity for one of your developmental influences and one of your experience-based influences in order to foster the development of self-regulation skills.
- Your learning objectives need to be clear and measurable.
- If you need help with how to create learning objectives, refer back to the objectives section of the Early Childhood and Child Development Lesson Plan Handbook you used in Week Two, review pages 81-82 of your primary text, or visit the Week Three Instructor Guidance.
- You will develop one of these objectives into an actual lesson plan for your Final Paper; when developing your objectives for this assignment; make sure it aligns with your overall theme for the unit.
- Explain how the learning objectives you created will allow you to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum for your students regarding self-regulation. Use your state’s early learning standards as support for this section.
Research and Resource Expectations:
- Source Requirement:
- At least two scholarly peer-reviewed or credible sources. Please use the MAECEL Source Guide if you need assistance with how to locate scholarly peer-reviewed or credible sources.
Writing and Formatting Expectations:
Title Page: Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Academic Voice: Academic voice is used (avoids casual language, limited use of “I”, it is declarative) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Purpose and Organization: Demonstrates logical progression of ideas.
- Control of Syntax and Mechanics: Writing displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- APA Formatting: Papers are formatted properly and all sources are cited and referenced in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Suggested Assignment Length: This assignment should two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages).